Would like to have some information on the royal empress tree; it is a non-native tree.
As a non-native, the Royal Empress Tree is not in our Native Plant Database. At the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center we concentrate on plants native to North America. However, Paulownia tomentosa is not only non-native but is considered invasive in many parts of the country. That we ARE interested in. For some background, here is a previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer concerning this tree. There are a number of links in that previous answer to give you information on care, etc. As you can no doubt tell, we are NOT in favor of planting invasive trees. The USDA Plant Profile does not show it as growing in Michigan; the state may just be too far north, but it does grow in some northeastern states, so possibly it could survive Michigan winters. But do you want it to?
More Poisonous Plants Questions
Are the leaves of the Fruitless Palm Tree poisonous in Redding California? October 18, 2010 - Are Fruitless Palm Tree leaves poisonous? I was poked in the hand with a leaf of one of the branches. It was a dead leaf/Branch? Please Help! view the full question and answer
Source for seeds of New Mexico locust from Abilene TX October 23, 2012 - Is there a place to buy Robinia neomexicana native to Texas or order seed from Texas grown plants? view the full question and answer
What is white sticky substance in the Mandevilla vine? June 15, 2012 - When I was watering my Mandevilla one of the vines broke and there was a white, sticky substance that came out of the vine. I was just curious as to what that is. view the full question and answer
Getting rid of poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac July 30, 2011 - How can I rid my yard of poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac? I have tried roundup, poison ivy roundup and even a clorox solution and nothing seems to kill it, I keep seeing it come up. Any help ... view the full question and answer
Toxicity of Yucca leaves San Marcos, TX August 19, 2009 - Can you tell me if Yucca constricta leaves are poisonous? I ran into one at night and the next morning had a hive-like, VERY itchy rash. view the full question and answer